History of the Oklahoma Firefighters Museum
On April 6, 1967 a groundbreaking ceremony was held at 2716 N.E. 50th St., in Oklahoma City, where the Oklahoma State Firefighters Museum is still located today. The building was completed in 1969 and houses the Museum and the offices of the Oklahoma State Firefighters Association (OSFA), Oklahoma Fire Chiefs Association (OCFA) and the Oklahoma Retired Firefighters Association (ORFA).
The Museum contains a remarkable collection of antique fire apparatus and equipment dating back to the mid-1700s, including the first fire station built in, what was then, Oklahoma Territory in 1869. Other exhibits include the world's largest fire department patch collection and a one-of-a-kind mural, The Last Alarm. The Museum is the new home to several artifacts from the Ben Franklin Collection, a group of items representing the birth of the oldest fire department in the United States.
The Museum is one of the most outstanding facilities in the nation devoted to the preservation and display of antique fire fighting equipment and apparatus. Owned and operated by the Oklahoma State Firefighters Association, it is financed by membership dues.