Owasso FD is now accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/Medic
Applications will be accepted until noon on Oct. 14.
Work involves training for and participating in the preservation of lives and property during emergency situations. Working under the direct supervision of the Fire Station Captain, the Firefighter/Medic will respond to fires, hazardous material spills/releases, technical rescues, and other emergency incidents and perform highly skilled work in providing emergency medical care to sick and injured persons on an Advanced Life Support ambulance and emergency apparatus. Participate in fire suppression, prevention, inspection, rescue, emergency operation, public education and station and equipment maintenance activities.
The Firefighter/Medic may work alone while in transit and must have the ability to multi-task, communicate clearly with others and have an understanding of the geographic area serviced.
Please Note: Applicants currently employed with another municipal Fire Department who possess an IFSAC-Firefighter I Certification and have previous Advance Life Support experience may be eligible for lateral entry based on the Fire Chief’s review of qualifications and experience.
Firefighter/EMT Paramedic beginning annual salary: $50,500*
Firefighter/EMT Advanced enrolled in Paramedic School beginning annual salary: $43,700*
Firefighter/EMT Basic enrolled in Paramedic School beginning annual salary: $40,800*
*Includes EMT propay, does not include education and other available propay
- Must be at least 18 years of age with a High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma Driver’s license with no citations within the last 3 years
- Must be Nationally Registered EMT Paramedic or EMT Advanced/Basic enrolled in a paramedic school program. (Verification of current enrollment status will be required)
- Must be able to attain reciprocity of EMT license with the Oklahoma State Department of Health upon hire
- Working Knowledge of the following:
- Principles, practices and procedures of modern firefighting.
- Purpose, operation and maintenance of firefighting vehicles, equipment and apparatus.
- Departmental policies, rules and instructions for firefighting and rescue activities.
- Fire prevention principles and practices.
- Extrication and the use of extrication tools.
- Emergency Medical Technician basic life support procedures and paramedic support procedures.
- Basic mathematical and science skills.
- Principles and practices of safe motor vehicle operation and maintenance.
- The City of Owasso road network.
- Microsoft Office products and other relevant technologies.
- Must pass written test, Candidate Physical Agility Test, and oral examinations
- Must pass interviews with Fire Chief and City Manager
- Must pass a criminal background investigation
- Must successfully pass OK Firefighters Pension & Retirement System medical physical and drug screening
Offer for employment contingent on Preliminary Testing, Oral Review Board, Chief’s Interview, City Manager Interview, Pension Physical, Background Investigation and Drug Screening.